Today’s post is going to be very special for you people because today through this post I am going to tell you 10 amazing facts about the sea, which you people have hardly heard anywhere before.
Friends, Earth is the only planet where the sea is found or Earth is the only planet that is known to have sea or ocean, the water of the sea is very salty, you will be surprised to know that the surface of the earth is about 70 % is surrounded by oceans.
Oceans on Earth, successively from smallest to largest, include the Arctic Ocean, the Antarctic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, and the Pacific Ocean. At least three percent of all the water on Earth is only sweet water – the rest is salty. The combined area of the world’s oceans covers 139 million square miles. Isn’t it surprising, so let’s friends and more interesting facts about the ocean.
Top-20 Amazing Facts about Sea
1. The average sea depth is 2.5 miles (4 km).
2. Ocean waves (large waves) are caused by the rotation of the Earth, while the gravitational pull of the Moon and the Sun acts on the ocean water.
3. There are thousands of marine life forms known to man, but it is estimated that there may actually be millions of marine life forms in existence.
4. Every year 14 billion pounds (6 B kg) of waste is dumped into the ocean. Most of it is plastic.
5. The largest ocean on Earth is the Pacific Ocean, it covers about 30% of the Earth’s surface.
6. The deepest known part of the world’s oceans is the Mariana Trench, located east of the Mariana Islands. It is about 11,000 meters deep at its deepest point.
7. If we could capture just 0.1% of the ocean’s kinetic energy due to tides, we could satisfy the current global energy demand by as much as 5 times.
8. The name of the Pacific Ocean is ‘peaceful sea’, which is its original meaning.
9. There are about 25,000 islands in the Pacific Ocean.
10. In the year 1992, 29,000 rubber ducks were lost at sea and they are still to be found, revolutionizing our knowledge of ocean science.
11. The Pacific Ocean is surrounded by the Pacific Ring of Fire, which has a large number of active volcanoes.
12. The Atlantic Ocean is the second largest ocean in the world and covers more than 21% of the Earth’s surface.
13. The world’s oceans contain about 20 million tonnes of gold.
14. The name of the Atlantic Ocean refers to the atlas of Greek mythology.
15. The Indian Ocean is the third largest ocean in the world and covers about 14% of the Earth’s surface.
16. In Newfoundland, Canada, the Atlantic Ocean sometimes freezes so that people can play hockey on it.
17. The Arctic Ocean is almost completely covered by sea ice during winter.
18. The largest mountain range on Earth is actually below the surface of the ocean. It is called the Mid-Oceanic Ridge and runs from the middle of the Atlantic to the Indian and Pacific. It is over 35,000 miles in length and covers 23% of the Earth’s surface.
19. 70% of the oxygen we breathe is produced by the oceans.
20. Humans have so far explored less than five percent of the oceans on Earth.
Through this post, I have told you about Top-20 Amazing Facts about Sea, if you like the information given by me, then share this post with your other friends also…